Gas Safety WeekSeptember 19, 2018
Since the launch of the Gas Safety register, Gas Safety Week has become a national initiative within the industry and amongst Gas Safe engineers, energy providers and retailers – all with ambitions to raise awareness and highlight the risks surrounding gas installation and maintenance. It is vital that the importance of gas safety is stressed, so members of the public are aware of, and are protected from illegal gas work and maintenance. The consequences of unregistered gas work can be deadly, so it is important that people are aware of the rules and regulations surrounding
gas installation and engineering.
The Gas safety register has ultimately been created to keep people safe. It is illegal to work on gas appliances and installations if you are not a registered gas engineer – So, for engineers, the register shows that they can legally work on such appliances, are up to date and knowledgeable, and will do the job correctly! For consumers, it offers peace of mind that your appliance is being worked on by the best, by someone who is fully qualified, certified, and can legally conduct an installation or maintenance job.
As a consumer, being mindful of gas safety can not only save you money and time, but potentially your well-being or life. There are differences between a safety check and a servicing of an appliance, so be sure to clarify this with your engineer. To stay aware of your gas appliance’s maintenance, it is highly recommended that you have your gas appliances and pipework checked annually by a gas engineer – appliances that are left unmaintained could become a risk in your home. If you rent a property, your landlord is legally obliged to do this every year. It is easily forgotten about as these appliances are used every day to heat our homes, our water and cook our food. However, it is crucial to have these checks carried out, as a faulty gas appliance could result in a gas leak, carbon monoxide poisoning, a fire or explosion.
Here are some warning signs to look out for that your gas appliance is faulty, and may become a risk:
- The gas appliance is not working properly
- The appliance is burning with a lazy yellow flame rather than a crisp blue one
- Black marks/ stains are evident around the gas appliance
- The pilot light keeps going out
- There is increased condensation in the room
When having your appliances checked or serviced, be sure to ask to see your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID, this will confirm who they are and that they have all the necessary qualifications and training to work on gas appliances. It can be tricky work, so rest assured that everyone on the Gas Safe Register knows their stuff!
It is also important to be aware of warning signs for an appliance that is already faulty and may be causing your health harm. Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning is extremely dangerous and is perhaps even more deadly as it could be leaking into your home without you knowing. Unlike a gas leak, which can be detected by its smell, carbon monoxide is completely odourless and invisible. It is very poisonous and can result in death and long-term health issues, so keeping yourself and your family safe is crucial.
A leak can be caused when an appliance has been fitted wrong, is unmaintained or has been poorly repaired. It is also important to make sure your appliance is properly ventilated, as blocked chimneys or vents can also result in a leak. Even a very little amount of carbon monoxide can cause a lot of damage, so it is highly recommended to have a CO alarm in your home if you have gas appliances or heating. They can be bought at supermarkets and hardware stores and are very inexpensive when you consider the risks that can occur without one. At Plumbase we are running an offer on CO alarms this week, follow this link to buy: Honeywell CO Alarm
There are six key symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning to look out for, they include headaches, nausea, breathlessness, dizziness, collapsing or losing consciousness. If you experience these symptoms and suspect a CO leak, you should quickly get some fresh air and air out your house – open all the windows, make sure your gas appliances are turned off and leave the house. You should then see your doctor or go to hospital, they can run a simple check on you to see if you have carbon monoxide poisoning. You should also call a Gas Safe engineer to attend to your to appliance.
However, if you think you are in more serious danger, call the Gas Emergency Helpline: 0800 111 999
To find a gas safe registered engineer in your local area search online or ring 0800 408 5500
For more information visit the Gas Safe Register website.
Stay Gas Safe!
Key information sourced from: https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/help-and-advice/gas-safety-in-the-home/get-your-appliances-checked/